I'm very interested in learning the aerial arts--particularly the aerial hoop. I've been googling and searching non-stop, but the only aerial hoops I can find are brand new from companies, and they are all about $300. Does anyone know where I can buy a used lyra? Or one that is cheaper than $300? Anyone have one sitting around that they would like to sell? ;) 

And I should mention that I live in a rural area, so taking aerial classes isn't much of an option for me. I would have to drive 2+ hours to take a one-hour aerial class. Plus, on top of the gas money, I would be paying about $25 a class.

I'd also love some more information on where to begin. How do I know what size aerial hoop to get? And the tubing size? Should I choose a size that is comparable to my regular hoop? And also, which is best for beginners...a one point, double point, etc.?

Tags: aerial, for, hoop, lyra, sale, used

Views: 5096

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Seems like a lot of your questions would be answered by investing in the drive and cost of a class or workshop. Plus, you may make connections with people who have used gear. If it's your passion, you will find a way. I'd make it a real option - drive to Pittsburgh, or take the train into Philly. It will be fun and you'll meet other people practicing your new skill.

Is your lyra just a toy? Are you hoping to use it as a performance prop? Perhaps the costs are business expenses, or perhaps they are an investment in your happiness.

Either way, connecting with people via a class is the best possible start, in my view.

Kim!!! We should have had aerial jams when we lived close!

Here's my advice based on what got me started and I was in the EXACT same boat as you.

Do not buy a used lyra, first of all. Buying aerial equipment is like buying climbing gear, you want to buy new everything. You have no way of knowing what kind of stress someone's used equipment endured. I would recommend buying your lyra from trapezerigging.com. That's where I got mine and I'm really happy with it. Mine's 1" solid aluminum tubing. Aluminum is nice because its a lot lighter than steel, which makes it easier to lug around. I have a single point which is easier to spin and is great for one performer. Double points are a bit harder to spin, but they're excellent for tandem lyra work. One is not necessarily better than the other for beginners, they're just better suited to different uses. As far as the size goes, it all depends on your height, do not get a lyra based on the size hoop you use.

There's a method for determining what size lyra to get, I don't exactly remember it. I think you sit down in a chair and measure from the floor to your head, or something like that. But when you buy a lyra, the retailer should be able to help you figure out the size.

Lots of aerialists will tell you to take classes because there's a lot of physical risk involved. I have never taken a class, I just hung my lyra and played and figured it out. If you're going to do it that way, be honest with yourself about the risks you're taking. You can fall and hurt yourself in ways that take years to heal. I don't know what its like to learn from teachers in a class, but I know that I hate structured environments and people telling me what I can do and when I can do it.

I'm sorry this is so long, but I hope it helps you. I wish I could have taught you when I was still living nearby! But if you move to Philly......

:)

Aerial, you have no idea how much I am kicking myself in the butt for not getting interested in this while you lived close!! Thank you SOOOO much for taking the time to type out all of this information and for being so thorough! 

How did you know that the one-inch would work for you? Do you think I should get one-inch tubing as well?  Whenever I was googling aerial hoop sites, I did look at trapezerigging.com.  But I also saw this site: http://www.aerialempowerment.com/online-store.html    and they wrap their hoops with some type of grippy material, which appealed to me. Is wrapping the hoop, something I could just do on my own? Is that even something I would want to do? Haha...OY! I'm so thankful that you are able and willing to help me with all these questions! 

Other than that, you answered so many questions of mine! I do remember reading on one of the aerial sites how to figure out what size hoop you should get, but I wasn't positive if that was the correct way. Thanks so much!

I'm not sure, but I think that the one inch tubing is standard. Some other retailers might use different sizes, but every lyra I've ever seen and used has been one inch tubing. You definitely want to wrap your hoop, I used gaffer tape on mine. Some people use a base layer for padding, that spongy stuff that gymnasts use, but I didn't. You'll also want a can of Cramer's Firm Grip spray. Its just a spray rosin that helps you grip when you're sweaty.

I just checked out that aerial empowerment site, thats a pretty cheap deal for a lyra with all the rigging. I might be suspicious about the quality of the hardware that they're using- it seems too inexpensive to be good. Its highly important that your carabiners and swivel is of the best quality, otherwise you're putting your safety at risk. And if the swivel is bad, it will just be super frustrating because it will be hard to get your lyra to spin. I'm actually trying to replace my swivel at some point because it sucks. Also on the note of rigging, you'll need to decide if you want to use rope, chain or straps or some combination of those. If you use rope, make sure you get static line and that you learn to tie the suitable knots for rigging. If you use chain, it will be expensive but it will be the easiest to rig. Having straps is really helpful too, I wish I had some.

Good luck! I'm happy to try and answer any questions you have. My advice for you is to wait and save up money to get better quality equipment, don't get hasty and buy the cheaper stuff. You'll be happy you did.

Where did you get your rigging equpiment? From the trapezerigging site where you got your hoop?

And thank you again for answering all my questions! :)

I sell aerial hoops for $200. Custom made your size, and either single or double with option of hand/ feet space.

I'm gonna have to take you up on this!

Sure! My email is kimchi22@live.com.

Here is a hoop I made.

Attachments:

Aluminum or steel?

either one, you can also get hollow steel.

*Hollow Steel 13 lbs

*Solid Steel 27 lbs

*Aluminum 11 lbs

aluminum is easier to get started spinning but harder to maintain spinning but great for beginning and my personal preference.

I got my rigging equipment from a local rock climbing store to avoid shipping costs and a better warranty. I have never had any problems. 

RSS

© 2014   Created by SaFire*.

Hoop City Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service