Let's create an awesome list of recommendations!!!

Views: 112

Replies to This Discussion

Ishmael by Daniel Quinn

A Mango Shaped Space by ?

Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

I still haven't read Eat, Pray, Love. Just watched the movie and liked it. Anyone read it? Good book?  

The friend I'm staying with has The Time Traveler's Wife, so that will probably be my next read.  

The Time Traveler's Wife is awesome!!  It is kind of a hard read.  It is written in a strange way, the beginning is hard to catch on, and at some points the situations are weird and almost twisted.  The girl I borrowed it from read like the first two chapters and gave up.  After I read it, I told her she HAD to read it again that she was almost at the best part!!  So stick with it; I promise it is totally worth it!!

Oh, and if you are a crier (I am!!), be prepared to shed quite a few tears...

I want to read Eat, Pray, Love too. I am wondering if will have more details then the move did. It's a good movie.

SOOOO many more details than the movie :)

i love the book Eat, Pray, Love. still haven't seen the movie because i like the book too much :)

I second Jitterbug Perfume.  Absolutely lovely.  Tom Robbins is great!  Another one by him is Still Life With Woodpecker.

Eat, Pray, Love is one of my all-time favorite books.  I highly recommend it.  It has it's haters - a lot of people found the author to be a self-absorbed rich girl with the time and resources to walk away from her life and travel the globe to satisfy her needs.  Bah!  I say, lucky girl!  I found her story to be remarkable and very inspiring.  I haven't seen the movie yet, but I hear it does a good job translating the book to film.

I have The Time Traveler's Wife on my bookshelf.  I don't often stray from historical fiction, but for those "it" books that get a lot of press, I sometimes make an exception. I haven't read it yet.

A book similar, IMO, to Eat, Pray, Love only from a man's point of view is Breakfast with Buddha. I found it very charming. It's the story of a man's unintended journey of self-disovery when he finds himself on a cross-country road trip with a botisattva (I hope I spelled that right!).  Of course there's always the tongue-in-cheek man's answer to Eat, Pray, Love, Drink, Play, F***!  I didn't read it, but my husband did (he also read EPL), and he said it was pretty humorous. It's a man's journey to find himself (so to speak) after a relationship ends.  He drinks in Ireland, plays in Vegas, and I can't remember where he goes for, well, you know, the last thing (thinking actually spelling out the F word isn't acceptable here at HC!).  LOL!

Is "The time Traveler's Wife" based on the movie or am I thinking of something differant?

J.D. Robb In Death series. 

The Hunger Games trilogy

Steve Berry's Cotton Malone series (he is like Dan Brown, but i think he is better)

pretty much anything Nora Roberts (she is also J.D. Robb)

I put this in my introduction but in case you haven't looked there, here it is with some add-ons and descriptions.

My fav list would have to be...

- Ishmael - Daniel Quinn (hard to get into but once you do, it will change your outlook on the world.)

- The Story of B - Daniel Quinn (a follow-up to Ishmael which is equally powerful)

- The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho (The Alchemist details the journey of a young Andalusian shepherd boy named Santiago. Santiago, believing a recurring dream to be prophetic, decides to travel to the pyramids of Egypt to find treasure. On the way, he encounters love, danger, opportunity and disaster. One of the significant characters that he meets is an old king named Melchizedek who tells him that "When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it." This is the core philosophy and motif of the book.) borrowed this from Wikipedia

- Allan Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking - Allan Carr (helped me change my life and quit smoking for good)

- How to win Friends and Influence People - Dale Carnegie (great resource on how to handle people)

- The Celestine Prophecy - James Redfield (spiritual fiction)

- The Other Boleyn Girl - Philippa Gregory (historical fiction)

- Exit to Eden - Anne Rice writing as Anne Rampling (first fictional romance/erotica/BDSM story I had ever read)

- Cleopatra - author unknown

- Anne of Green Gables - Lucy Maud Montgomery - (just love the writing in theme stories and Anne's constant positivity )

- The Memoirs of Cleopatra - Margaret George (A lengthy read but great story)

- Books by Malcolm Gladwell - interesting stuff on the human condition

I'm thinking the Cleopatra you mentioned might be the one by Michelle Moran?  I have it, but I haven't read it.  (That's pretty much the story of my life!)

Nope, it's definately the one by Margaret Geoge. There are so many Cleopatra memoirs out there it's crazy!

RSS

© 2014   Created by SaFire*.

Hoop City Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service