General Questions

Classroom Questions

How do I add a photo to the gallery?

- Go to the photo gallery by clicking on the "photo" link under "gallery" in the menu bar. At the upper right hand side of the gallery should be a link like this:

Click on the link to be taken to the photo uploading page.

You can also e-mail a photo to upload it. When you joined the community a unique email address is assigned to your profile. You can use this email address to send photos and videos in one at a time to your profile. If your cell phone has a camera and email, this is a great way to add camera phone photos to your profile on the go!

When you go to the Add Photos page you'll see an option that looks like this:

Click "More Information" and you'll be shown your person e-mail address for our community the instructions on how to email your photos right to the gallery!

How do I post an image so it will show up?

You have two options on how to post an image. If you are writing in the forums and there is a menu bar above the text box you are writing in, then click on the tiny photograph button. It looks like this: You can either upload an image directly from your computer or you can link to the URL of an image. To get the URL of an image online, right click on the image and choose "copy image address."

If you do not see a menu bar or the picture icon is missing you can also do the coding by hand. Here is an example of how to type out your link.

Paste the image's URL in the place where it says "imageaddress."

How do I add a video to the gallery or embed one into a message?

You can also e-mail a video to upload it. When you joined the community a unique email address is assigned to your profile. You can use this email address to send photos and videos in one at a time to your profile. If your cell phone has a video camera and email, this is a great way to add camera phone videos to your profile on the go!

When you go to the Add Photos page you'll see an option that looks like this:

Click "More Information" and you'll be shown your person e-mail address for our community the instructions on how to email your photos right to the gallery!

How do I post a link?

You have two options on how to post a link. If you are writing in the forums and there is a menu bar above the text box you are writing in, then click on the link button. It looks like this: Click on this button and a box should appear on your screen. Paste the URL web address in this text box and hit "ok." Your link should now be placed in your message. It will be placed wherever your cursor was when you pressed the link button.

If you do not see a menu bar or the link picture is missing you can also do the coding by hand. Here is an example of how to type out your link.

The website address that you want to link to is where it says "websiteurl" and you'll need to put the address there. The section that says "Name of Website" is where you should type the name of the site or whatever word that you want to be a link. This is what people will be able to see once you post, you HAVE to write something here. Anything that is surround by the brackets symbols
< > will NOT should up. The last portion containing the /a inside of brackets will close off the link so that the rest of your post isn't also part of the link.

How do I upload a file?

- If you are making a brand new forum discussion you should see three choose file options available. It looks like this:

- If you are commenting on a post in the forum, click on the link that says "Upload File." You can find this link underneath the text box when you reply to a forum discussion.

Where's the Chat Room?

You'll find it on every page of the site. It's now at the bottom of your screen in a long grey box. Check it out. Play with all the buttons to see what it can do.

- Open the Chat Room:
- Put chat in it's own window:
- Turn on the sound so you get an alert about
new message:

- Private chat rooms! Click on the members profile you'd like to chat with and you have the choice of having a private chat or viewing their profile.
- You can also search through the hoopers online! Just start typing their user name into the search box on the right.

How do I use the Music Player?

- To get the most out of the music box above, click on this
icon:
It will open up the music player in it's own window so you can enjoy continuous tunes while cruising the community. The music player on the main page contains all the music within our community.
- If you'd like to add a song to your profile music player that's on another community player, press and click on "add to my playlist."

The music player won't let meadd some of the songs I choose, why?

- It may not be the right file format or they may be DMR protected, iTunes was doing this for awhile to prevent users from sharing music. The protection has since been removed do to popular demand against it.

Can I view the community on my phone?

If you have an iPhone or other mobile device that allows you to go online you can now easily check your profile on your phone. Simply add /m to the end of the url and you'll see the site is "mobile" mode.

http://hoopcity.ca/m

How can I edit my profile information?

If you'd like to change your name, age or other profile information head to "My Profile." Scroll down to where ever your profile information is presented and click the Edit button that is it in the upper right hand side of the box.You'll be taken to a page that looks like the one below. Make the changes you'd like to make and hit Save to confirm your new information.

How can I block someone from sending me messages?

Go to the person's profile page and then click the 'Block Messages' link below his or her image.

How do I view Class Resources online?

- Click on the link to view online. If it is taking a long time to to watch online I recommend downloading the video first rather than waiting for it to load so you can watch it online then having to wait again to downloading to watch offline.

How do I download class resources?

- To download the tutorial or resource to your computer, right click on the link and choose "Save Target." For Mac users press CTRL while clicking the attachment and select "Download Linked File." I recommend downloading at night before you go to bed or before you leave the house.

How do I play video tutorials on my computer?

- If you do not have a media player that can play these downloads here are three programs available online that you can easily download for FREE.

iTunes - iTunes is a great way to store your music as well as your movies. It's available for both Mac and PC users and you don't have to own and iPod or iPhone to benefit from it's many features. If you are not familiar with iTunes, apple has created video tutorials to get you started.
VLC - This program is awesome. Anytime I have a video I can't get to work, this program will play it with no problems at all.

QuickTime - Free download for PC and Mac users. Click the blue "Free Download Now" button. Remember to uncheck the check box or it will send you random apple news letters.

Perian - Perian is a free, open source plug-in that allows QuickTime to work with more video formats.

How do I burn a DVD of the tutorials?

If you'd like to burn a DVD of the current tutorials so you can hoop in your living room I'd recommend using iTunes. The burning process is fast and you can quickly drag and drop the movies you want onto a playlist and select "Burn Disk." Check out this video tutorial for more information.

I don't have an iPod but I have another portable video player. How can I get the M4V files to play on my player?

Here is a Free Video Converter that you can download and use to convert the video files to a number of different formats. Check your media player to find out which format it accepts.

Views: 2306

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am having a problem downloading the lessons to my computer.  When I right click on the link, there is no "Save Target" selection.  What am I doing wrong?

Michele

Do you see any "save" related options?  What browser are you using? Mac or PC?

I have a tablet that uses the android market etc. It won't let me download the videos to my tablet. It also wont let me view the videos at all. This is a little frustrating. Is there a way to download them to my tablet or am I out of luck?

hmmm... I feel like I remember somebody using an android tablet before and figuring it out. I just got an android phone perhaps I can test the videos out on it and the solution will be the same. I'm out of town until Wednesday can you private message me this question so I remember to get on it when I return home?

For some reason my mini tutorials are all 'private' videos and I can't watch them anymore! (

Me too!

Yes me too! I don't know what happened :(

Yip, same here. I've messaged SaFire to alert her to the problem, so hopefully it will be fixed before too long.

So sorry guys! My paid premium Vimeo account expired while I was out of the country. I've paid to re activate it and it seems to be taking a day to set all the embedded video back to public instead of private. To view videos you can still click the download icon to go to a new page and stream online ( except for Internet explorer users) and of course you can always still right click to save and download.

When my payment goes through all videos will instantlybe re activated.

Glad I saw this, hope everything goes smoothly! I was beginning to worry!

Thanks! Enjoy your out of Country ventures!!!

Thank you so much, SaFire! Looking forward to learning more soon. Enjoy your travels!

RSS

© 2014   Created by SaFire*.

Hoop City Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service