...how to hoop, and she's having problems keeping the hoop going at her waist. she's got isolations down, and hand hooping, and the weave, but for some reason the hoop falls after just a few seconds on her core.

i'm feeling a bit discouraged as a teacher cause i can't see any flaws in what she's doing -- i think it'll be helpful if i find her a bigger/heavier hoop, but in the meantime, does anyone have any advice i can give her?

Views: 6

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What hoop is she using? Also, what size is she? I have a friend who is 6'3 and she learnt to hoop with a 42" hoop before moving sizes, because she was naturally bigger so even 39' hoops seemed small when she was learning. I say try to find her a bigger, heavier hoop and see if that helps:)
Yeah, I'm average height and a little round lol, I started with a 44" 160 PSI hoop. I went to lighter tubing first, but stayed with the size. Then I started to gradually reduce size by 2 inches at a time as the bigger hoops started to feel bulky and hard to manage. I just now started using 36" polypro. Sometimes when I'm having trouble, I engage my core muscles as much as possible to make my body as hard a surface as possible, and I squat a liiiittle bit, and let my legs do the pushes while my core muscles keep my torso as a good swing around point. I guess the difference is like hooping on one finger using the finger's action vs. hooping on one finger but using your whole arm to make the movement, keeping the finger perfectly still. I'm sure she's found her dominant direction? Also, I'm finding soooo many people, regardless of whether they hoop clockwise or counterclockwise, use front to back pushes. I always used side to side or kind of diagonal pushes when I was first starting out. I still tend to go side to side at waist level as opposed to front back. Try it out, maybe it will help? Good luck!

RSS

© 2014   Created by SaFire*.

Hoop City Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service