Hey! I'm brand new to this site and it's amazing, so glad i've found it! Anyway, i've been looking for aerial silk classes for a long time and just recently found one in my hometown of Cleveland. I already took a class and have 3 more set up but unfortunately i live primarily in my house where i go to school in Athens, Ohio. I would like to continue learning, and i have faith in myself to be able to learn by myself (with a spotter of course) so i have two questions.

One, if i were to get the fabric and a rig is there anyway i could set it up on a tree? I don't have a tree in my yard, and my house is too small, but there are many trees around i could use, so it would have to be something i could take down and put up whenever i wanted. 

Secondly, does anyone know of any places that offer aerial silk classes or even just a setup i could use to practice on in the southeast ohio area? I could even go to somewhere in northern west virginia. I just haven't been able to find one yet. Sorry this is so long, thanks!!

Views: 2112

Replies to This Discussion

You're really not supposed to rig in trees because there is no way to determine how much weight a tree branch can hold. But... I do it with my lyra all the time. Just make sure you rig it securely and have someone there to spot you just in case something happens. Good luck and have fun chillin in trees! :D

Learning by yourself is not recommended. Silks are tricky; it is easy to get them tangled or wrapped improperly around you and injure you.  I know because I've done it already and I was in a class setting. 

As for a tree I would say 'ask a rigger'.  A rigger would know best if it is proper to rig something on a tree branch.  I wouldn't do it because I am unsure of the branches strength.  If at all possible, you could find a local gymnastics club or ymca with high ceilings and see if you can use the space for awhile.  This is what I plan on doing after I have taken at least 10 or more classes.

I know you mentioned a spotter; is the spotter qualified? Do they know what they/you are doing?  If they don't know what to do to help you, they won't be much help. This is why a qualified instructor is the best spotter. 

Lyras don't have the same shock tension for drops. I rig my lyra in a tree all the time but do not do any drops with it. silks are much different and I have heard that can be very unsafe with more advanced moves.

RSS

© 2014   Created by SaFire*.

Hoop City Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service