I am going to share my notes from my class with some additional resources for continued study. It was my pleasure and honor to teach this class. Thank you for coming.
Dance Like Noone's Watching.
Dance Lie Everyone's Watching.
Dance is about making shapes with the body, especially lines and circles, and then bending, wiggling, expanding and contracting those shapes. We make shapes with the arms and legs but we also can break each of those down into smaller shapes -- hands, fingers, poses, footwork, traveling steps, etc. We even create lines with our gaze. Every point has an equal and an opposite, just as every hoop move has a forward and a backward so if a gaze can be directed one way, it can also be directed the other; if a line can be bent one way, it can also go the other; if a circle can flow one way, it can also flow the other.
Here are the aspects we played with: http://www.hoopcity.ca/profiles/blogs/putting-the-dance-in-hoopdance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaZyn4NGKac
Posture, Building Your Foundation from the Ground Up, Setting the Shoulders:
Handwork: flowing in circles (inside and outside, 1st, 2nd, 3rd positions), flowing in lines (bending lines, parallel lines, perpendicular lines, wiggling the line from the top, from the bottom, from the middle): http://www.hoopcity.ca/profiles/blogs/integrating-armwork
- Resting Positions
- Handwork: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU2O9-k4KlM
- Utilizing the Free Hand: http://www.hoopcity.ca/profiles/blogs/utilizing-the-free-hand-in
- Footwork in place: front, side, back, behind
- Traveling Steps: getting from here to there, grapevine, lines: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1-VEFpxUko&feature=mfu_in_order...
- Turns and Spins: http://www.hoopcity.ca/profiles/blogs/spins-and-turns-how-to-prevent http://youtu.be/95vvIO93ggE
Creating Lines: http://www.hoopcity.ca/profiles/blogs/creating-lines-in-hoopdance
- Arms: http://youtu.be/QTFOYmXbZWw
- Parallel vs. Perpendicular
- Wiggling the Line
- Mood of Music
- Inhabiting Lyrics
- Facial Expression (Practice cultivating a gentle smile as a set position instead of a frown): http://www.hoopcity.ca/profiles/blogs/cultivating-a-gentle-smile
- Plane Changes
- Speed Changes
- Level Changes
Beat Punctuation: http://www.hoopcity.ca/profiles/blogs/playing-with-beat-punctuation
- Rhythm vs. Melody
- Ta-Da Endings: http://www.hoopcity.ca/profiles/blogs/the-big-finish
- Contrasts (Fast/Slow, Spinning/Stillness, High/Low): http://www.hoopcity.ca/profiles/blogs/the-beauty-of-stillness
Tricks: Palm Spins, America's Next Top Model Walking Step Through (ANTM Step-Thru, for short), Chest Roll, Horizontal Tosses (not sure I even got to that one)
Nobody cares if you can't dance well. Just get up and dance! Great dancers are not great because of their technique, they are great because of their passion. - Martha Graham
You are a true gift to us all. I hope you continued to be Blessed in all you do. Thanks for sharing, giving, and for the inspiration! Rock on...