Mrs. Skittles of Sparkle & Burn*'s Journal
Posted on May 10, 2011 at 11:02am
I am still shocked that I won the scholarship to Hoop Convergence this year. I want to make the most I possibly can out of this trip!
I can hardly contain my excitement anymore. I leave to go to Hoop Convergence tomorrow morning. Since the drive is over 16 hours Sarah Sparkles and I want to give ourselves plenty of time to drive during the daylight hours. I have oodles to do before we leave tomorrow morning, but I have faith that we will get it all accomplished. :) I just…
Posted on March 7, 2011 at 10:08am
This past year has really been a test of my sanity, resolve, etc. Now above and beyond everything else I can't hoop, which is what has been my saving grace. The thing I could always count on to calm me down and help me center myself.
I totaled my car on Feb 25th and injured my knee. I strained some muscles and ligaments in my knee and I have been on crutches since then. I really hope my knee heals quickly because I am literally dieing to hoop. I miss it soooo much and it has…
Posted on January 14, 2011 at 1:11pm
This is intensely personal, but the hooping community is such a loving and accepting group of people that I feel comfortable sharing my story. Especially since this story does intertwine with my hooping journey as well. I am hoping that by being courageous and telling my story that it will help someone, inspire someone, and in another way help me as well. Telling my story and breaking the silence around it has been integral for me and will continue to be.
Everyone’s journey into the…
Posted on December 30, 2010 at 9:00am
2010 IS ALMOST OVER, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Stayed single almost the whole year? No. I went through a really difficult break up in March (the end of a 7 1/2 year relationship) and I started dating my new boyfriend in May.
Were involved in something you'll never forget? I have so many awesome memories from this year it is hard to choose one. Hmmm... hooping at Pridefest this year was awesome. :)
Tripped over a coffee table? Not that I recall.
Came close to…
Posted on May 13, 2010 at 2:48pm
What's done is done. The time and energy you spend complaining about it will get you nothing but a lot of frustration and negativity.
What's happened has happened. Instead of looking back, fretting and arguing about why or how or who is at fault, look forward and consider all the positive possibilities that are available to you.
If you've been wronged, don't seek revenge. Seek success, seek achievement, seek fulfillment, seek to take what has happened and turn it into…
- How old are you ? 25
- When did you first start hooping ? Spring 2009
- Would you call yourself a beginner, intermediate or advanced hooper ? Intermediate
- How often do you hoop ? Whenever I get a chance. At least 4 or 5 days a week.
- Do you have an indoor hoop space ? Yes. I have a large garage attached to my apartment building that is heated in the winter. Expect hooping videos from a grimy garage. lol
- Is there a hoop group where you live ? There is one in Madison, WI, but I have only met a few of the members. I tried to go to a jam, but no one really showed up. We are trying to start a hoop group in Milwaukee, but have yet to be successful. A lot of my friends hoop though... well... 3 others do on a regular basis. (Update: I went to another jam in Madison... I LOVE Madison Hoopers!! They have such a great energy about them.)
- Did you start it ? Nope. Sarah gets credit for that. (Glittered Goods)
- Would you say that you are obsessed with or addicted to hooping ? Yes! I don't get other things done because of hooping. =P
- Have you posted hooping videos ? How many? A few... I hoping for much better ones during the summertime. :)
- Do you have friends nearby to hoop with ? Yes! I hoop with my friends as much as I can. :)
- Do you teach hooping ? I have taught people that have been hooping with my and my friends. It is my goal to start teaching classes in 2010.
- What kind of songs do you listen to while hooping ? Mostly EDM, Phish, and various other artisits.
- What is your favorite song right now ? Imogen Heap: Hide and Seek
- Do you buy hoops or make your own ? Make them.
- What size is your favorite hoop ? 36" 125 psi 3/4 inch tubing
- How many hoop own you ? 6 and I am sure it will continue to grow.
- Have you lost weight since starting to hoop ? A tiny bit.
- Are you comfortable hooping by yourself in a public place ? Yes. I normally prefer to be with other hoopers, but I have hooped by myself in public a few times. Mostly I get so into what I am doing that I forget anyone is watching.
- How did you learn the majority of the tricks you know today ? Most of the tricks I have learned have been taught to me by Sarah (Glittered Goods). Some are self taught by watching other people hoop or videos online. I have used a few tutorials from Safire as well. :)
- Who is your favorite hoop teacher ? Sarah!
- What advice would you give to to beginner hoopers ? Be patient... it takes time to learn how to connect with your hoop. The more you practice the better you will be.
- Do you fire hoop ? Yes! I Iove it!!!
- Do own an LED hoop ? I am in the process of making one and then I am buying one with my tax return.
- How much time do you spend on safiredance.ning ? A couple hours a day. :x
- What was the first trick you learned (besides waist hooping) ? Neck to waist and then lift from the waist to lasso.
- What is the last trick you mastered ? Turning around while isolating.
- What trick so far was the hardest for you to learn ? Knees to waist, I nail it almost every time now.. unless I am wearing slippery clothing.
- Which one are you finding is almost impossible to get ? One leg hooping and foot hooping.
- How many hoopers would you say live in your town/city ? I have no clue... maybe 20 or so.
- Have you performed hooping in front of an audience ? Nope, but I am for NYE. 3000+ people! *squeals*
- Has anyone told you you were too old to be playing with a hula hoop ? Yes... on facebook.
- What’s the worst injury you’ve acquired from the hoop ? Bruises are the worst thing a can think of. I have wacked myself in the head a few times... it sucks, but I normally keep going.
- Have you ever hooped naked ? Yes... :)
- Have you been to a hoop camp/retreat ? Which one ? I'm hoping to go one day, but I currently do not have the funds to do so.